7 Products You Should Be Adding to Your Winter Skincare Routine
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The sun goes down at 4 o’clock, the temperature hovers around freezing, and our skin is dryer than ever. Ah, the joys of winter. Aside from the Christmas merriment that helps us survive an otherwise unbearable time of year, winter can be well, unbearable. While there’s little we can do about the earlier sunsets and colder temperatures, we can fight back by protecting our skin from the elements. These products may even trick your skin into thinking it’s still summer – a girl can dream, right?
1. Oil-based Cleanser: If you have dry or sensitive skin, you need to be careful when selecting a winter cleanser. The season already robs our skin of its summer luminosity and we certainly don’t want to wash away the little moisture we have left. So instead of a gel or foaming cleanser opt for a more nourishing oil-based cleanser that gently removes makeup without stripping your skin of necessary oils. It will leave your skin clean and plump instead of dry, irritated, and tight.
2. Hyaluronic Acid: While the name may scare you, hyaluronic acid (HA) is one of the absolute best things you can put on your skin. While it exists naturally in your body, it depletes as you age, which can leave your skin drier and more prone to aging. When applied before moisturizers HA boosts the moisture content of your skin. Hyaluronic acid’s moisturizing abilities are so effective that it’s been scientifically proven to have anti-aging properties, making it a no-brainer when it comes to your skincare routine.
3. Facial Serum: If you haven’t already incorporated a facial serum into your skincare routine, run don’t walk to your nearest beauty provider. Serums are absolutely essential for healthy, nourished winter skin. They are jam-packed with active ingredients that provide unparalleled moisturizing and anti-aging benefits. It’s basically like applying a multivitamin to your face. Simply apply before your moisturizer and your skin will drink it right up.
4. Thicker Cream: Harsh winter weather causes your skin to be dryer than normal, especially in climates that lack humidity. While there’s little that can be done to avoid this, your daily moisturizer can help protect your skin from the elements. Try swapping out your light summer moisturizer for a thicker cream that will sink in and plump up your skin. The thicker the better, especially if you have dry, sensitive skin. On the other hand, if your skin is oily, you’ll want to save the thicker cream for your evening skincare routine to avoid extra shine during the day.
5. Facial Oil: Depending on where you live, winter can drag out for much longer than desired, leaving your skin in need of some routine winter maintenance. Incorporating a facial oil into your routine can help provide your skin with that extra bit of love and moisture it craves. If you’re new to the facial oil game, it can be a bit overwhelming (and expensive) so look for products with squalane, jojoba and marula oils.
6. Eye Cream & Lip Balm: With all the extra attention you’ll be paying to your skin this winter, don’t forget to give a little extra love to your eyes and lips. The skin under your eyes is thinner than the rest of your face so it needs even more moisture and protection. One of our favourite beauty hacks is to use hyaluronic acid around the eyes to lock in moisture and prevent fine lines. And, since mistletoe season is in full swing, you don’t want to forget about your lips either! Look for a lip balm with shea butter, beeswax, or vitamin E to moisturize and prep your lips for any chance mistletoe encounters.
7. Body Moisturizer: We know the last thing you probably want to do when you step out of the shower is apply a cold moisturizer, but the skin on your arms and legs needs nourishment just as much as your face. Luckily, the dreaded post-shower lotion application can be avoided by selecting a product like L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil that can be applied in the shower. Not only do you get to stay nice and toasty while you apply it, but it smells and feels absolutely heavenly.
Winter skincare is all about moisture and protection so don’t be shy about slathering on all of your favourite products. After all, Christmas is right around the corner and we’ve heard Santa loves gifting skincare.